Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Push

So this month has been a blog record breaker for me thanks to President Wishnack and his pedophilia accusations. Silver linings and all that. Frankly, I was hoping for the whiskey. I had a record breaking day, week, and month which until recently didn't matter much to me. I was hoping to break 100 visits to the blog for this month, but then I got lazy about posting, so I may just have to offer up another challenge and see where that gets me...or maybe blog more...Hahahahaha, yeah right.

Why are hits important? It's not like I have sponsors or ads from which to make money. That's not why I write, at least not currently. Really, I only started this blog to keep practicing my writing skills, the idea being I could write anything I wanted here. I also wanted a venue in which I could rant whenever I wanted. The funny thing I discovered about writing is that it is not nearly as satisfying if nobody is reading it. I also find myself writing to an audience instead of to myself because I know other people 'might' read it, so it almost demands a response.

Pretty much any time I hang out with President Wishnack, I have to listen to him obsess about his hit count for the day until a smoke break or alcohol distracts him. I'm not even sure why he cares, come to think of it, but it has apparently infected me as well, although not as severely. What irks me most is that out of 70+ visitors to the blog this month, there were maybe two people responding if that. Now maybe I should be satisfied that someone came to the blog, but how do I know they read it? How do I know it impacted or inspired them? Why does it even matter to me?

I guess it is about receiving some kind of validation. Knowing I'm not crazy or that my random thoughts made someone else think, would at least indicate that I wouldn't be just as well off in a coma. What is it that makes some people want to make people think in order to reach out to them? I have no idea but I bet I will have no more than two people offering their opinions about it.

"I'm thinking of something beginning with the letter 'P'."

7 comments:

  1. see, the lesson is to provide me with smokes and drinks and i'll talk less about hits.

    but i agree: it's not nearly as fun to write if no one is reading. and as the hits go up, you become more and more inclined to write. i mean, making money would be nice, but just being read is alright, too.

    p.s. i broke my weekly record today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and it seems my readers only like it when i've been fucked over.

    though they did really like it when they thought you were a pederast.

    i'm not sure what brings on comments (or what gets people to stop commenting on fb and starting doing it on the blog), but it's kind of refreshing having no idea how to get people participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making people think....that is becoming a lost art! Now I am probably going to get myself in trouble and I am all for technology, but I am finding technology is actually making people think less. With a click of a mouse you now can get the answer instead of thinking, spelling, why learn how to spell we now have spell check...I could go on.

    I went to Burger King about a year ago and they had some electrical issue and all the cash registers were down. The people (who were probably 17 or 18) did not have a clue how to write out my order, add it up, add tax, etc. I literally had to tell them what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops that was me that wrote the above!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, hey Kate. I wondered who that was. Don't take this the wrong way but I was hoping I had inspired some new random person to comment as a result of my heartfelt confusion...but it was just you. =) Feel free to comment more, assuming I write more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What! "JUST YOU"

    ReplyDelete