Friday, February 19, 2010

The Obligatory Frank Chu Post

If you live in San Francisco and you don't know who Frank Chu is…you're doing something wrong. Even if there is a slight chance you don't know his name, you've probably seen him walking around the downtown area carrying his sign which states his protests of a number of subjects. Frank even has his own Wikipedia entry.

-Sigh-  Go ahead…I'll wait…..

I happened to be unintentionally following Frank one day when I looked up and noticed him, and it occurred to me that as a blogger in San Francisco it was practically an obligation to write something about him. I mean, Frank is all about media coverage, although I doubt he will get much from my blog. Also, I felt I could bang out a short post about it that wouldn't hang in limbo like many of my other posts. Besides, I'd rather get random site hits from a Google search of "Frank Chu" or "crazy sign guy" than resort to cheap tricks like link-bait posts about Lindsay Lohan sex tapes.

I am a little disappointed that Frank rents out the back of his sign to advertisers (for $100 a week). I feel it sort of dilutes his message, whatever it is, but I guess a guy has to eat and buy day-glow lettering somehow. I guess I shouldn't project my idea of "protesting" upon him.

I considered taking a picture of him with my iPhone for this post since I was so close, but I decided Frank would be my debut sketch art piece for the blog.

Yeah, I have a long way to go to get something in MOMA, but you can at least tell who it is…I think.

5 comments:

  1. wait just a minute. you just resorted to the same cheap trick by including the words "lindsay lohan sex tape" except you did it even cheaperly!

    EVEN CHEAPERLY!

    p.s. nice frank chu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said before.... GREAT sketch!!!! But why waste your breath (typeing space) on uttering L.L?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and yes I realize I made a spelling error!!! Joe must be channeling me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kind of an inside joke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, does that mean I'm obliged to post something about Frank Chu? I better get on that..

    ReplyDelete